hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: NTLM stuff, again; was Re: MIME module (svn commit: r615594 ff)
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:48:46 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> The trouble is that even if we had clear-cut guidelines about the use of
> LGPL libraries in ASF projects it would not get any further, because at
> this point no one expressed willingness to take upon the task of writing
> an auth scheme based on JCIFS. It will not be me at any rate. So,
> presently there is no way around depending on our old code, barring
> dropping NTLM support altogether. The question is whether we want to
> depend on the HttpClient 3.1 binary or import old NTLM code to the new
> codeline.

Contrib code that depends on the HttpClient 3.1 binary is my preference.
I'd be interested in looking into jCIFS, but will have no spare cycles
for it. It would be good to have some NTLM code to get HTTPCLIENT-652
right, but we could also work that out with dummy state or SSL client
authentication. If there is a lot of interest in NTLM support from the
community, there should also be volunteers.
The reason why I want to defer this discussion beyond alpha3 is that I
will not have cycles left for HTTPCLIENT-652 either, and that seems to
be a prerequisite for NTLM support.

cheers,
  Roland