hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject [HttpClient] to split or not to split
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:41:32 GMT
Hi folks,

should we split module-client into multiple modules?
There are currently four informal units [1] there:
- HttpAuth
- HttpConn
- HttpCookie
- HttpClient

Most of the arguments _for_ splitting module-client
are hypothetical. We are not going to put any modules
on a separate release cycle in the forseeable future.
Oleg is our only release manager, and given the
complexity of the release process [2] as it is now,
I have no intention of volunteering. Anyone else maybe?
If users need only some of the informal units, having
the others in the same JAR won't hurt.

The one thing I really dislike about the structure of
module-client is that we have a single compilation unit
for informal units with different dependencies.
HttpConn and HttpClient depend on logging, while
HttpAuth and HttpCookie do not. HttpAuth depends on
commons-codec, which transitively extends to HttpClient
but not HttpConn. (I'm not sure whether HttpCookie also
uses commons-codec, probably not.)

Once more, this has to do with Maven. I don't mind all
those classes ending up in the same JAR, but I would
prefer to have them in separate compilation units.
(Our) Maven compilation units are modules, and each
module ends up in a separate JAR.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

cheers,
  Roland