hc-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpcomponents Wiki] Update of "BoardReports/Report2008-01" by ErikAbele
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:10:00 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Httpcomponents Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ErikAbele:
http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReports/Report2008-01

The comment on the change is:
Report moved to private PMC directory, public info can be found in mail archives

- ## This is an archived Board Report. Please do not edit.
+ deleted

- == January 2008 Board Report ==
-
- === Status ===
-
- There are no items needing immediate attention of the board except to
- note
- that we are currently in the process of drafting our own PMC bylaws.
-
- === Releases ===
-
- No releases since last report.
-
- We are working on releasing HttpCore 4.0 beta1 very soon.
-
- === Community ===
-
- No arrivals or departures.
-
- We have made a lot of modifications to the web site to improve
- navigation
- and make it easier for users to find the documentation we have on the
- site
- and on the wiki. We still need to add a useful Get Involved page and
- developer documentation, to lower the bar for new contributors and to
- spread the knowledge better among the existing committers.
-
-
- === Migration ===
-
- Since end of December 2007, we no longer depend on Jakarta resources.
-
- Items done:
-  * moved Subversion content
-    * updated Subversion and mail references in Maven
-    * updated Gump metadata
-  * moved all sections of the web site
-    * set up redirect from the site at Jakarta
-    * updated site references in Maven
-  * moved download area to dist/httpcomponents/
-    * set up download redirect from dist/jakarta/
-  * consolidated archive at dist/httpcomponents/
-    * set up archive redirect from dist/jakarta/
-    * set up archive redirect from dist/commons/
-  * created DOAPs for HttpCore and HttpClient 4.0
-  * updated DOAP for Commons HttpClient 3.1
-  * updated external mail archives
-    * www.nabble.com
-    * marc.info
-
- Items still pending:
-  * move of Wiki, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1442
-  * creating the bylaws, we're still operating under Jakarta bylaws
-
-
- === Development ===
-
- We currently use Maven 2 for generating and deploying the main web site
- and the component specific sites, and Maven 1 for generating and
- deploying the HttpClient 3.1 site. There are some kinks to the Maven 2
- deployment process. We will consider to move to a Subversion based
- deployment for the main web site. Component specific sites and the
- 3.1 site are typically only redeployed after releases and include
- extensive generated content like JavaDocs and cross-referenced sources,
- these make little sense in Subversion.
-
- The release of HttpCore 4.0 beta1 is imminent. This will be a major
- milestone, as it marks the beginning of API stability in HttpCore.
- We've made significant and incompatible improvements to the API after
- each of the 6 alphas, and have finally reached a point where we are
- reasonably comfortable with it.
-
- In HttpClient, we could resolve a long-standing deficiency in the
- interrupt handling of the thread-safe connection manager by using
- Java 5 features. The decision to upgrade the Java requirement proved
- really useful here.
-