hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: site deployment
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:50:30 GMT
On 17.02.2008, at 20:10, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
>>> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
>>> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1]
>>> and b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only
>>> downside is that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in
>>> SVN but that was discussed to length already and we don't really
>>> need to re-hash that.
>>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
>> Any other opinions and/or takers for that?
>
> In due time, I am willing to take care of a part of that.
> Due time means not February, _maybe_ March. The part I would
> take care of is deploying the main and component level site
> via SVN.

Ok.

> I will not waste time with deploying the module level site
> via SVN. Whenever we rename or move a class, we would have
> to manually update the SVN contents of the generated JavaDocs
> and cross-referenced sources to get rid of the old artifact.
> To make matters worse, the cross-referenced sources need
> different SVN keywords so the source values are not replaced.
> I'd rather remove the module-level site than try to maintain
> the generated information in SVN.

Yep, I understand - we could also simply svn:ignore those in the
target dirs and mvn-deploy them only when necessary.

> For the legacy site, I don't have a problem with that. The code
> is not changing much anymore, so it remains a one-time effort.
> But IIRC, Maven 1 has poor staging support. Maybe I'll have to
> use Maven deployment to localhost and a few symbolic links to
> get the pages into a subversion controlled directory.

:-)

Did I mention how crappy Maven feels for website-related stuff? Maybe
we should switch this crap to Forrest, Anakia or something comletely
different... what are other projects doing?

> You mentioned the possibility of running nightly builds directly
> on people.apache.org. Could and should we use that to generate
> the module-level subsites on a weekly or even daily basis there?
> Then we don't have to deploy those at all.

Hmm, that would be another possibility but I'm a bit concerned with
failing builds etc...

Cheers,
Erik