hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject NTLM stuff, again; was Re: MIME module (svn commit: r615594 ff)
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:30:47 GMT

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 19:12 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > [...] may be a good opportunity to discuss our options for NTLM support.
>
> There was recently another thread about LGPL on legal-discuss.
> It left me confused as ever, but it seems that
> a) MINA will host code that depends directly on LGPL
> b) Sam Ruby is preparing some guideline for board approval
>    in one of the next board meetings
>
> I suggest to keep NTLM support and HTTPCLIENT-652 out of
> alpha3 and to hope that Sam will have a final guideline or
> policy or whatevery after the March or April board meeting.

Roland et al,

The trouble is that even if we had clear-cut guidelines about the use of
LGPL libraries in ASF projects it would not get any further, because at
this point no one expressed willingness to take upon the task of writing
an auth scheme based on JCIFS. It will not be me at any rate. So,
presently there is no way around depending on our old code, barring
dropping NTLM support altogether. The question is whether we want to
depend on the HttpClient 3.1 binary or import old NTLM code to the new
codeline.

Oleg