hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Draft of Project Bylaws
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:32:32 GMT
Hi folks,

I've deployed a first draft of HttpComponents Bylaws:
http://hc.apache.org/bylaws.html

I started with the Jakarta Bylaws [1], but merged in some
stuff from the Jakarta Decisions [2] page. Jakarta Bylaws
ask for 75% majority decisions by the PMC. I've changed
that to require consensus decisions (100%) by default and
only allowing majority decisions for special cases. Since
we don't have 120 PMC members like Jakarta, the project
should remain manageable.
One of my goals for the Bylaws is not fully achieved:
There is no fixed rule which decisions require consensus
or majority, just a rule of thumb. Unless somebody can
make additional suggestions, we'll just have to figure
that out as we go along. Same thing for PMC vs. Community
decisions, though that should be easier.

I hope I haven't been overdesigning. I considered to add
a section about review-then-commit vs. commit-then-review,
but then felt that this should better be addressed in a
separate document about the development process. If we
need to formalize it at all.

Please let me know what you think.

cheers,
  Roland