hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] multipart coded entities
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:21:19 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> I am going to approach James developers and ask them if they would be
> interested in having our multipart encoder contributed to Mime4J. It may
> well be they would not, given Mime4j's rather strong emphasis on the
> decoding (parsing) side of things.

I share your concerns. Apache is about communities, not code.
Code without a community is dead, see Slide for an example. If
the James folks were interested in our multipart code, we'd have
seen them here by now, right? And if you wanted to maintain the
code, why would you move it elsewhere in the first place? I'd
expect this to end like the attempt to move multipart to
commons-codec, or Norbert here to us. Code in some repository,
but nobody doing anything with it. That won't help our users.
And if there is a WebDAV client effort in the future, it will need
multipart support and bring it back here (if WebDAV moves here).

> What should be our fallback option? Migrating old code to HttpClient 4
> codeline? Dropping multipart support altogether?

It could become a part of HttpTidbits. That's a new component
I intend to propose when the list of more important things to
take care of has shortened significantly. Think of it as contrib
code with pom.xml and web pages. No releases, Labs-style.

cheers,
  Roland