hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] Do away with parameter linking
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:03:15 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> Parameter linking is gone for good. Please review carefully and let me
> know if you find anything disagreeable. I think this change makes
> parameter resolution significantly simpler and thus less error-prone. I
> _personally_ feel quite happy about it.

Some details (SPS = SimpleParamStack, CPS = ClientParamsStack):

- SPS constructor expects params in child-parent order, while
  CPS constructor expects them in parent-child order
- SPS uses "Param" in the name, CPS uses "Params"

I don't care which way these two are done, but it should be consistent.
I think I chose "Params" for CPS because the interface HttpParams also
has the s, but I don't remember for sure.

- SPS and CPS have slightly different behavior on copy().
  I'm fine with the differing behavior, but the one for SPS should
  be documented too.
- SPS.isParameterSet checks only the child/local params, not the parent.
  If that is the intended behavior, it needs to be documented.
  CPS behaves differently. The interface docs don't say anything
  about local or non-local parameters, I think I deleted that
  stuff recently because it didn't make sense anymore after the
  linking was moved to a separate interface.
- It's worth a JavaDoc (class) comment that the set and remove
  methods will affect the child/local params only. That's also
  the rationale for cloning only those in copy().

> I'll go ahead with cutting the release on Friday provided there are no
> complaints about the latest change.

OK. I'll see whether I can provide a patch for parameter
unsetting this evening. If it goes into beta1, it can be
used by the next client alpha. But that's already assuming
the "global null" approach, which I would have preferred
to discuss first against the other alternatives.

cheers,
  Roland