hc-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpcomponents Wiki] Update of "HttpComponentsAndOSGi" by RolandWeber
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:17:40 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Httpcomponents Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by RolandWeber:
http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpComponentsAndOSGi

The comment on the change is:
second option for using the bundle plugin

  = OSGi-Enabling HttpComponents =

- OSGi bundles are JARs with additional metadata that allows for easy deployment of the bundles
in OSGi frameworks,
+ OSGi bundles are JARs with additional metadata that allows for easy deployment of
- such as Apache Felix or Eclipse Equinox. Since the difference is only the metadata, I (Roland
Weber) will look
+ the bundles in OSGi frameworks, such as Apache Felix or Eclipse Equinox. Since the
+ difference is only the metadata, I (Roland Weber) will look into generating OSGi bundles
- into generating OSGi bundles instead of plain JARs for the HttpComponents. I'll record my
ideas and progress on
+ instead of plain JARs for the HttpComponents. I'll record my ideas and progress on
  this page, hoping to eventually turn that into documentation useful for others.

  == Tools ==
@@ -21, +22 @@

  == Plan ==

  Start with !HttpCore-main, as it has no dependencies beyond plain Java.
- Put the maven-bundle-plugin into the module POM, and check the output carefully:
+ Put the maven-bundle-plugin into the module POM.
+ The Commons folks have figured out a second way to use the bundle plugin.
+ Instead of changing the bundling from jar to bundle and letting the bundle plugin
+ assemble the jar file, it is possible to only create the MANIFEST with the
+ OSGi specific metadata but continue to use the regular jar plugin for bundling.
+ [[BR]]
+ Try both options and check the output carefully:
   * Are all classes in the bundle?
   * Are all non-classes (properties files) in the bundle?
   * Is the metadata for the bundle correct? (version, symbolic name, package lists)
@@ -30, +37 @@

  If the approach is feasible, move on to HttpNIO.
  Consider moving the maven-bundle-plugin definition to the component POM.
- Switch the release assembly from the plain JAR to the OSGi bundle.
+ Switch the release assembly from the plain JAR to the OSGi bundle,
+ or add the generated MANIFEST by default to the jar plugin.
  [[BR]]
- If the approach is not feasible, consider working with the Felix team to improve the plugin
integration.
+ If the approach is not feasible, consider working with the Felix team
+ to improve the plugin integration.

  == Status ==