hc-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-httpclient Wiki] Trivial Update of "HttpComponentsAndOSGi" by RolandWeber
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:11:45 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-httpclient Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by RolandWeber:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpComponentsAndOSGi

The comment on the change is:
page moved

- #pragma section-numbers off
+ #DEPRECATED

- = OSGi-Enabling HttpComponents =
+ This page has been [http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpComponentsAndOSGi moved]
+ to the new [http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/ HttpComponents Wiki].

+ ##
- OSGi bundles are JARs with additional metadata that allows for easy deployment of the bundles
in OSGi frameworks,
- such as Apache Felix or Eclipse Equinox. Since the difference is only the metadata, I (Roland
Weber) will look
- into generating OSGi bundles instead of plain JARs for the HttpComponents. I'll record my
ideas and progress on
- this page, hoping to eventually turn that into documentation useful for others.

- == Tools ==
-
- The tool of choice for a Maven 2 based project at Apache is the
- [http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html maven-bundle-plugin]
- maintained by the Apache Felix team.
- That plugin creates complete OSGi bundles, not just the additional metadata.
- As such, it would have to replace the currently used maven-jar-plugin for our release builds.
- The maven-jar-plugin is specified in the component's parent POM, applicable for all modules
in all components.
-
- == Plan ==
-
- Start with !HttpCore-main, as it has no dependencies beyond plain Java.
- Put the maven-bundle-plugin into the module POM, and check the output carefully:
-  * Are all classes in the bundle?
-  * Are all non-classes (properties files) in the bundle?
-  * Is the metadata for the bundle correct? (version, symbolic name, package lists)
- Compare the effort for the maven-bundle-plugin with the (non-)effort for the maven-jar-plugin.
- The bundle plugin calls a separate tool and is therefore not as tightly integrated with
Maven 2.
-
- If the approach is feasible, move on to !HttpNIO and !HttpNIOSSL.
- Consider moving the maven-bundle-plugin definition to the component POM.
- Switch the release assembly from the plain JAR to the OSGi bundle.
- [[BR]]
- If the approach is not feasible, consider working with the Felix team to improve the plugin
integration.
-
-
- == Status ==
-
- Read through the maven-bundle-plugin documentation.
- No hands-on experiments yet.
-
- == Progress ==
-