hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore 4.0-beta1 release packages preview (3nd take)
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:24:12 GMT

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 14:15 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 19/01/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Sorry, only just noticed that BUILDING.txt mentions:
> > >
> > > ... (such as NIOSSL) ...
> > > and
> > > module-niossl/target/httpcore-niossl-<VERSION>.jar
> > >
> > > Surely NIOSSL is no longer part of the build?
> > >
> > > Also Java 1.5 is now required for NIO.
> > >

> > Done.
> >
> > > This is not a blocker, but if you do decide to the text it would be
> > > worth stating that Core requires 1.4 and Nio requires 1.5
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Also the directories etc. include alpha7-SNAPSHOT rather than beta1,
> > > but I assume that will change when the final packages are built.
> > >

> > Absolutely.
> >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > The source archive does not seem to contain everything in SVN. The
> > > following directory trees are missing:
> > >
> > > contrib
> > > src
> > > module-main/src/site
> > > module-nio/src/site
> > >
> > > I can understand why the contrib directory might be omitted, but the
> > > src/main/assembly files are needed for the creating a distribution
> > > using "mvn package assembly:assembly" as described in BUILDING.txt.
> > >
> > > And it would do no harm to include the site files.
> > >
> > > In JMeter we include everything (apart from perhaps the DOAP file) in
> > > either the bin or src archives.
> > >

> > Done.
> >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > BTW, there are some missing SVN properties (e.g. eol-style native) on
> > > some of the files in the root directory:
> > >
> > > doap, LICENSE, pom
> > >
> > > These probably need to be fixed from a Unix account.
> > >
> > > Assuming they are LF currently, this won't affect the release
> > > preparation if that is also done on Unix.
> > >

> > As far as I understand you took care of that.
> >

> Yes, sorry, should have reported that I'd done it.
>
> I also just fixed the svn props for LICENSE and *.apt.
>
> > Are there any other problems / release blockers?
>
> Still getting the NIO test failure - but not every time.
>
> I don't think it's a release blocker for a Beta release.
> However it occurs to me that it should be mentioned in the release
> notes (and announce ?).
> This is both to warn users and to solicit feedback on which platforms
> have the problem and which don't.

Since the problem appears to be reproducible on a single core Windows
systems, I'll setup the damn thing on a separate partition and see if I
could reproduce the problem locally.

> The nio error makes it difficult to test the assembly stage, as
> assembly seems to depend on test (perhaps via package).
>
> BTW:
> Is there a way to just perform the assembly?

You can't just do assembly alone but you you can disable tests

mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package assembly:assembly

> Likewise can one just perform the nio tests?

Just run the tests in the module-nio folder

cd module-nio; mvn test

Oleg