hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] Do away with parameter linking
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:26:04 GMT

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 17:09 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > What if we approached the problem form a different angle and simply did
> > away with parameter linking in HttpCore altogether? Hierarchy building
> > is used only in a handful of high level protocol classes and always for
> > representing an ultra-trivial parent / child relationship.
> >
> > This would enable us to get rid of a lots of complexity and push the
> > decision about the specifics of parameter resolution to out of core to
> > higher level modules such as HttpClient.
>
> That's a change that should be considered by it's own merit.
> If you feel that a stack approach would reduce complexity
> and not generate too much garbage, go ahead and change it.

Parameter linking is gone for good. Please review carefully and let me
know if you find anything disagreeable. I think this change makes
parameter resolution significantly simpler and thus less error-prone. I
_personally_ feel quite happy about it.

> > This would also render the
> > whole 'unsetting parameter' issue an implementation detail each upstream
> > project can choose to solve differently.
>
> Not "can" but "must" choose to solve, or run into problems down
> the road.

I am not sure I fully agree, but feel free to come up with a solution
you would be comfortable with.

> And because it isn't addressed in core, every project
> needs to solve it differently.
> If we implement the "global null value" approach, that should
> be done in core so that every project using core can use the
> same null for all parameters. If we prefer to deal with the
> problem on a case-by-case basis, then it can be done in each
> module/component/project that defines a parameter for which
> it matters. What I do not want to see is a bunch of projects
> that each define a non-global null value just for their own
> parameters or HttpParams implementations.
>
> As mentioned in my other mail, I believe now that the changes
> for a global null value in core will be compatible, so this
> does not block the release of beta1.

I'll go ahead with cutting the release on Friday provided there are no
complaints about the latest change.

Cheers

Oleg