hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] future web site structure
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:04:46 GMT
Hi Oleg,

>> I start to get the feeling that Maven is a black hole that
>> drags everything into it.
>
> Maven is VERY invasive. It either its way or the highway. However, it
> does help to enforce uniform release structure and process, which is, in
> my opinion, a good thing.

I'm fine with Maven as a _release_ build tool. I'm less fine
with Maven as a site generation tool. I see the point as long
as the site is published with the release, as is the case for
commons-httpclient with it's extensive documentation. That's
why I suggested to use Maven for the parts of the site that
are associated with a component and usually updated only after
a release, and use something else for the "main" site that
could see intermediate updates. But even that won't work if
we want to add documentation to a component and publish that
without waiting for the next release.

I just noticed that the HttpComponents site only uses Maven
report plugins that are tied to the source code, which is
good. The 3.1 site also generates reports from SVN, which
makes little sense unless the site is updated on a regular
basis.
Would you mind me removing the "Change Log", "Developer Activity"
and "File Activity" reports from the old site? Some others also
make little sense, given the current change frequency in the
3.1 codebase: "JavaDoc Report", "JavaDoc Warnings Report", and
"Task List". But maybe you are using these locally when coding?

> Roland, Sebastian
>
> Feel free to explore alternatives. I will happily step aside for a
> while.

I don't have a short-term alternative that supports a friendly
wiki-like text markup. I'm beginning to think that it isn't
such a bad idea to have a site published from a Confluence Wiki
though.
Go ahead with Maven site building. We can consider alternatives
next year, when the dust has settled. I'll find enough to do to
keep me occupied.

cheers,
  Roland