hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] future web site structure
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:30:13 GMT
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> I personally prefer to use just one tool for web site authoring. So far
> Maven was good enough

Was it? Actually, I do have some questions. When I generate the site
for one of the components, I see several "reports" being run, including
JavaDocs. Does that mean Maven picks up the JavaDocs from trunk when
we redeploy a component site? Or is there some hidden magic somewhere
that I have to learn about?
Of course that is not a problem for the main site, where we don't
have generated reports. I guess Maven has some more magic built in
to decide which parts of the target directory needs to be deleted
and which parts are from a component site.

> and I somehow prefer its wiki like APT format to XML.

That is a good point. By the way, the comment marker in
APT [1] is ~~, you may want to add the Apache boilerplate
to the APT pages.
Doxia [2] seems to be able to run outside of Maven, too.
At least they have a Java API that one could call from
an Ant task or standalone Java program. I couldn't find
anything about a standard  Ant task or command line tool
though.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/apt-format.html
[2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/overview.html

Jakarta has a news site that generates an RSS feed.
Not that I use RSS, but it seems like a nice feature.

> I could put together a download section and the 'powered by' page
> tomorrow or on the weekend, if nobody objects my doing that in APT.

I start to get the feeling that Maven is a black hole that
drags everything into it. Once you do something with Maven,
you'll never be able to do it any other way. And the argument
of not using two different tools for the same thing then
eliminates all alternatives.

Anyway, go ahead. Saves me the time I meant to put into
adapting the Jakarta site generation :-)

cheers,
  Roland