hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] The new site is up
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:59:13 GMT
Hi Oleg,

great job, just one issue: the links to the ASF "sponsoring"
and "thanks" pages that I added to the 3.1 site are mandatory
for all projects. Maybe you can just copy that section in the
navigation over to the Maven2 sites?

The new dist directory is already up, I took care of that
yesterday: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
Unfortunately, I had a change of mind regarding the name
of the subdirectory for 3.1. Now we have two of them, it
seems that the sync of dist with the archives works both
ways. My first idea was httpclient-3.x, but when I looked
at it later, I felt that people would have a hard time
distinguishing between httpclient-3.x and httpclient, so
I changed the name back to commons-httpclient.

Sebastian, the Jakarta Commons HttpClient logo on the old
page was my doing. More specifically, the not removing it.
It's an established logo, though we're neither Commons nor
Jakarta anymore. That's why the 3.1 page has a "history"
section explaining all the moves:
	http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/index.html
I don't think it makes much sense to try and rebrand the
old codebase. Too many people have seen and used it as
Commons HttpClient, that name is in the artifact ID, in
the names of the downloadable packages, and even used in
our new pages - including the charter Oleg drafted. And
the commons part is also in the package names. Having the
HttpClient logo next to the HttpComponents logo rather
than the Jakarta logo should make the association plain
enough.

Regarding the archives, we could copy the old releases
from the various archive locations over to the new one.
Then either leave the old ones where they are, or put
HEADER.html files there with pointers to the new location.

http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/httpclient/
http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/httpcomponents/commons-httpclient-3.x/
http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
  (was supposed to be subdirectory commons-httpclient,
   but is subdirectory httpclient-3.x for now)

cheers,
  Roland