hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Berlin" <sber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIOSSL fatal exception
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:25:48 GMT
Not exactly, no.  A persistent connection doesn't imply a lock/step of
request/response. As another example, consider a protocol like
BitTorrent or Gnutella.  You send packets to a host and read packets
from a host, but the messages don't happen in sequence.  A persistent
connection is necessary (because it's long-lived, and knowing you've
disconnected is important), but there's no concept of a "request" and
"response" -- just arbitrary messages sent & read from the pipeline.

Anyways... this is straying far off topic from HttpComponents. I just
wanted remind Oleg that NIO does have it's uses and reasons in many
situations. :)

Sam