hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Berlin" <sber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIOSSL fatal exception
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:39:45 GMT
We've found that as we began using NIO (and SSL in NIO), we had to
deal with and workaround a lot of internal Sun bugs.  Most
NIO-specific ones were hammered out in later releases of Java 1.5, but
given that SSLEngine was just introduced in Java5, it'll probably take
till later releases of Java6 or Java7 to really work out all the
kinks.  We actually had to run a small test on startup of the
application and disable SSL on environments that failed to load it
(for whatever reason) (see:
https://www.limewire.org/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=1.2/limecvs/components/nio/src/main/java/org/limewire/nio/ssl/SSLEngineTest.java
).  Some of the errors we saw made absolutely no sense, but were
internal to Java and we had no way of working around them.  If you're
in control of the environment, you should have a little more
capability to fix these errors.

Sam

On 12/3/07, Jake C <buddhabuddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Sorry for the long delay in reply, I suddenly got really busy last week... :-)
>
> > Subject: Re: HttpCore NIOSSL fatal exception
> > From: olegk@apache.org
> > To: httpcomponents-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:35:51 +0100

> >> As with all worker threads: if they fail to work, throw them away
> >> and replace them. But you may want to know why the worker failed.
> >> Because if there's something wrong in the environment, the newly
> >> started ones will also fail.
>
> If this does end up being a recoverable error, how do I go about replacing them? They
were created in the constructor for DefaultListeningIOReactor. Do I need to call shutdown
on the ioRector instance and create a new one?

> I definitely want to know why. I will be following up with the NIO list. I hope I don't
have to go to Sun... :-/

> > Generally it is a pretty bad idea to do anything with _generic_
> > RuntimeException as semantically they are meant to represent
> > non-recoverable exceptions.
> >
> > As of HttpCore 4.0-alpha6 you can register a custom
> > IOReactorExceptionHandler to inject application specific exception
> > handling logic for I/O and runtime exceptions that are deemed
> > non-fatal:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpcomponents-core/httpcore-nio/xref/org/apache/http/nio/reactor/IOReactorExceptionHandler.html
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Oleg
>
> This may end up being a fatal error, and the "handling" may be to restart the app, or
even a reboot. However, without knowing that there was even a problem, I couldn't do even
that until I get a phone call that notifications are not going through. That would remove
a couple 9's from my uptime. :-) I'll check out the new IOReactorExceptionHandler. Knowing
there was an error is definitely the first step.