hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:03:38 GMT
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 18:58 +0100, Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Sam Berlin wrote:
> > Will the API be open to changing in the future?  I doubt much changes
> > will be needed, but we're just beginning to work on using
> > httpcomponents / httpcore / httpnio from the client side of LimeWire
> > too (as opposed to just the server side, which is working excellent,
> > thanks!).
> >
> > Sam
>
> That's exactly my concern. People are just starting to use the API. I
> find it thus very early to freeze it. We have not had that much feedback
> so far.
>
> Odi

Odi,

I am afraid we are unlikely to get more feedback unless we manage to
expand our potential user base. There are enough people / companies who
just will not touch beta (let alone alpha) software. The question is: do
we anticipate any major rewrites or sweeping changes in the code base? If yes, we
should hold off the API freeze. If not, we stand a better change of
getting more people interested in HttpCore by giving them a stable API
and incrementally improving it while maintaining the backward
compatibility.

What do you think?

Oleg