hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: HttpCore NIOSSL fatal exception
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:13:00 GMT

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 00:31 +0000, Jake C wrote:
> Wow, that is kind of scary!
>
> We are in control of our environment. However, we are actually fairly low volume. All
the data we need we receive in the URL itself, and we only ever reply with OK. Is there a
way to use just the regular HttpCore to set up a server listening on a SSL port, without using
NIO?

Absolutely.

If you application does not have to deal with thousands of simultaneous
connections with high request/response latency, NIO provides little, if
any, benefit compared to the classic I/O. One should seriously consider
going away from the one thread per connection model only if worker
threads spend most of their time blocked in I/O doing nothing.

Oleg

> > Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:39:45 -0500
> > From: sberlin@gmail.com
> > To: httpcomponents-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: HttpCore NIOSSL fatal exception
> >
> > We've found that as we began using NIO (and SSL in NIO), we had to
> > deal with and workaround a lot of internal Sun bugs.  Most
> > NIO-specific ones were hammered out in later releases of Java 1.5, but
> > given that SSLEngine was just introduced in Java5, it'll probably take
> > till later releases of Java6 or Java7 to really work out all the
> > kinks.  We actually had to run a small test on startup of the
> > application and disable SSL on environments that failed to load it
> > (for whatever reason) (see:
> > https://www.limewire.org/fisheye/browse/~raw,r=1.2/limecvs/components/nio/src/main/java/org/limewire/nio/ssl/SSLEngineTest.java
> > ).  Some of the errors we saw made absolutely no sense, but were
> > internal to Java and we had no way of working around them.  If you're
> > in control of the environment, you should have a little more
> > capability to fix these errors.
> >
> > Sam
> >
> > On 12/3/07, Jake C <buddhabuddy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply!
> > >
> > > Sorry for the long delay in reply, I suddenly got really busy last week...
:-)

> > > If this does end up being a recoverable error, how do I go about replacing
them? They were created in the constructor for DefaultListeningIOReactor. Do I need to call
shutdown on the ioRector instance and create a new one?

> > > I definitely want to know why. I will be following up with the NIO list. I
hope I don't have to go to Sun... :-/

> > > This may end up being a fatal error, and the "handling" may be to restart the
app, or even a reboot. However, without knowing that there was even a problem, I couldn't
do even that until I get a phone call that notifications are not going through. That would
remove a couple 9's from my uptime. :-) I'll check out the new IOReactorExceptionHandler.
Knowing there was an error is definitely the first step.