hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: Bits and pieces of HttpClient 3.x code in Geronimo sandbox
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:18:46 GMT

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks
>
> I just discovered someone at Geronimo had been copying verbatim various
> classes from HttpClient 3.x and developing some kind of async HTTP
> client on top of Mina.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/AsyncHttpClient/src/main/java/org/apache/ahc/auth/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/AsyncHttpClient/src/main/java/org/apache/ahc/util/
>
> I understand it is perfectly okay from the legal standpoint but I am not
> feeling too happy that a fellow _Apache_ project lifting bits of out
> code without _even_ notifying us.
>
> Am I over-reacting?
>
> Oleg

Well, "lifting" may be a strong word. But IMHO they could have worked
together with the HttpClient team on this to get their changes merged.
Just copy/paste and then tweak is certainly not good for them. They
either had to backport fixes manually or just let the code rot.

:-/

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/