hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: Close_Wait problem
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:07:38 GMT

Pankaj Arora wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Http Commons to implement my http client and observe that
> after running the client for large number of request connections are
> left in close_wait stage. I searched through archives and noticed that
> following were suggested:

Pankaj,

Which OS are you using?

First of all, this is perfectly normal and necessary to ensure proper
working of the TCP protocol. The points you listed all assume that
connections are not being closed. But sockets in CLOSE_WAIT *have* been
closed. They are waiting for the other end to complete the TCP FIN
handshake. Depending on your OS this timeout can be largish and can be a
problem if the other side misbehaves or is inappropriately firewalled
(cut connections). Your *only* chance to solve this is on the OS level.
Please read the appropriate documentation for your OS.

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/