hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: requirements, dependencies, jdk...
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:42:30 GMT

> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 17:23 +0100, Stojce Dimski wrote:
> > Hi Oleg,
> >
> > Updating the source code to use Java5 will bring no external
> > dependencies...
> > Using Backport of (java.util.concurrent) will bring just one single
> > dependency in one single case (Java 1.4 platform) in other cases (Java
> > 5,6,7) there are no dependencies... As this library is very much used
> > in many projects the 'version conflict' you have mentioned is mainly
> > theoretical...
> > I admit that 'google-collections' case is maybe dependency 'too much'
> > but Java5 source code baseline and Backport are very worth the trouble
> > ;-) WDYT ?
> >
> > P.S. sorry for the previous message a click-too-much...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Stojce
> >

> Hi Stojce
>
> I personally do not see a very convincing case for moving HttpCore to
> Java 1.5. There are two features that make Java 1.5 appealing to me:
> generics and j.u.concurrent.
>
> HttpCore base
> =============
> (1) I do not see what interfaces could benefit from the use of generics.
> We are not using collection interfaces at all.
> (2) We do not have _any_ threading code in HttpCore base, so
> j.u.concurrent will not be of any use.
>
> HttpCore NIO
> =============
> (1) Same here. Do not see what interfaces could benefit from generics.
> (2) We do have some home-baked concurrency primitives in HttpCore NIO,
> but none of them is exposed in the public API. The potential reduction
> of custom code does not seem significant enough to justify the change of
> minimal JRE level just a couple of weeks before the API freeze.
>
> HttpCore NIOSSL
> =============
> Requires Java 1.5 already
>
> To sum things up, I personally do not see a very strong case for moving
> HttpCore to Java 1.5. I am quite in favor of moving HttpClient to Java
> 1.5, though.

I think this depends on where HttpClient is likely to be used. If it
is extensively used in large applications such as servers etc - which
may depend on lots of other software - then it seems to me that
HttpClient should only require 1.5 if that is absolutely necessary at
run-time.

However if HttpClient is only used in stand-alone applications (e.g.
JMeter), then it will normally be easier for the user to upgrade to
1.5. But even here, it's important that the required level of Java is
readily available - it's going to annoy users if they have to install
1.5 just to run the application.