hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:12:36 GMT

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 09:46 +0000, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> As a user of HTTPNIO I'd like to see HTTPNIO-on-MINA because I can naturally
> see some people wanting to have all NIO comms going via MINA, and some other
> transports we are looking at in Synapse are based on MINA. But given that
> Apache is a "do-ocracy" and my Non-Blocking coding skills are minimal I
> think I will shut up now!
>
> Paul

Hi Paul

HttpCore is designed to be portable to other I/O frameworks. For
instance, LimeWire folks put HttpCore protocol layer on top of their own
NIO code and it seems to be working quite well. I personally would like
to see HttpCore ported to Apache APR and Grizzly at some point of time.
HttpCore port to MINA, however, may pose problems both technical and as
well as personal. I approached MINA people a while ago and asked them to
not start a competing project within ASF but rather cooperate with us,
or at the very least try to minimize potential overlap between projects.
They refused. Some did that in a very offensive manner.

I am aware I have a tendency of being difficult on the personal level,
so I want to stay away from everything MINA related, but will happily
assist anyone interested in using HttpComponents on top of MINA.

Evil Comrade Oleg