hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: TLP - the final push
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:02:22 GMT
On 22.10.2007, at 16:57, ossfwot@dubioso.net wrote:

>> I understand (and share) your desire to
>> help JMeter as they are stuck in a very similar situation.
>> However, this
>> is where similarities between JMeter and HttpComponents end.
>> JMeter has
>> its own vibrant community and is very much capable of being a TLP
>> of its
>> own. We both can help much better by being on the JMeter PMC then
>> trying
>> to create a joint PMC.
>>
>> By trying to bunch up loosely related projects with a different scope
>> and a distinct user base into an umbrella TLP of some sort we just
>> give
>> the board a perfect reason to shoot down the proposal.

I think the board has no issue with that as long as it doesn't get
out of proportion. As examples look at HTTPD, ActiveMQ, DB, Lucene,
Maven, WS, ... and their sub-projects.

> Fair enough. If others share you concerns, we should
> scrape off the applications part of my suggestions
> altogether. Server-side Slide will not come to life
> again, and other examples I don't have.

Fwiw, as said, although JMeter might not fit 100% and there might be
no other suitable examples right now doesn't mean we need to restrict
the scope ultimately...

Example: let's say a java tool to test the compliance of HTTP
implementations gets proposed at the Incubator - I wouldn't have an
issue with sponsoring that if it intends to have its final home at
the HttpComponents TLP.

On 22.10.2007, at 17:00, sebb wrote:

> On 22/10/2007, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

>> OK. I certainly missed that. I understand (and share) your desire to
>> help JMeter as they are stuck in a very similar situation.
>> However, this
>> is where similarities between JMeter and HttpComponents end.
>> JMeter has
>> its own vibrant community and is very much capable of being a TLP
>> of its
>> own. We both can help much better by being on the JMeter PMC then
>> trying
>> to create a joint PMC.
>>
>> By trying to bunch up loosely related projects with a different scope
>> and a distinct user base into an umbrella TLP of some sort we just
>> give
>> the board a perfect reason to shoot down the proposal.
>>
>> Sebastian, what is your take on that?
>
> JMeter is primarily used for HTTP-related testing, and that is where
> the main development tends to be focussed.
>
> However it is not just about HTTP, so I'm not sure it fits into the
> proposed TLP.
> Which is a pity.

Aye, I also think that it would be better off as an own TLP.

> The reason I'm not keen for JMeter to go TLP is mainly the lack of
> committer community. In Jakarta there are still some committers (apart
> from the HC crowd) who can (and do) test releases and vote on them.

That's the real pity IMHO and might be a blocker before going TLP :(

Cheers,
Erik