hc-dev mailing list archives

From ossf...@dubioso.net
Subject Re: [HttpClient] NTLM support in HttpClient 4.0
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:59:28 GMT
Hi Oleg, Sebastian,

> (1) Ship HttpClient 4.0 without NTLM support at all

That'd be my preference. We don't want to support the
NTLM code we have, so we've got to drop it. We can at
some time add an extra module http-auth-ntlm based on
jCIFS, hosted either at Apache or elsewhere depending
on whether we can make use of the "system dependency"
loophole.

> Sun Java on Windows supports NTLM since 1.4.

Unfortunately, that functionality is inseparably
tied to HttpURLConnection. There is no way at all
we could make the Sun code work with HttpComponents.

Apart from NTLM auth, we are also missing the
multipart entity functionality. I was thinking
about a wrapper in the contrib code that adapts
the 4.0 entity interface to 3.1 implementations.
The Slide client would have been a reason to port
the multipart entity, but those ideas are not going
to materialize anytime soon.

cheers,
  Roland