hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] Tasks blocking 4.0 API freeze
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:45:15 GMT

Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Apache Synapse would like to stop accepting new connections to put our
> servers into a "maintenance" mode. In this mode any in-flight requests
> already being served will continue as normal (i.e. reading, writing
> etc), but as new connections should be rejected, so that a load balancer
> could direct new connections to another instance in the cluster. The
> requirement is to then update configuration, apply patches or cleanly
> shutdown etc. for maintenance without effecting any in-flight requests.

Asankha,

You are touching an important subject: lifecycle management. I suggest
create, start, stop, destroy methods in some classes/APIs (semantics of
JBoss Service MBeans). I think it's vital that we support that. Would
you mind opening a JIRA ticket for this?

> Implementation wise I think this would be fairly straightforward as we
> can remove OP_ACCEPT from the interested ops. However, I would like to
> know your thoughts on this prior to moving ahead. Also do you have any
> plans of introducing any JMX support at HttpCore level? We can implement
> JMX support at the Synapse transport level and talk into the necessary
> HttpCore classes that hold metrics etc - but again I would like to know
> your thoughts

JMX is a JDK 1.5 API (or J2EE 1.4). This would change the 1.3 dependency
requirement. I think it's best to implement the JMX stuff at the Synapse
level at the moment. You know best what you need. Maybe later we can
incorporate that into a separate module, if it's of interest to other users.

> thanks
> asankha

Cheers

Ortwin