hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] Tasks blocking 4.0 API freeze
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 06:56:47 GMT
Hi Oleg
> Anything else?
>
> Please note we will still be able to add new stuff and even change
> existing interfaces past the API freeze but we will have to go though a
> deprecation process.

These are new features / enhancements I am about to ask for.. but
implementing support for these would possibly require backward
compatible API changes..

Apache Synapse would like to stop accepting new connections to put our
servers into a "maintenance" mode. In this mode any in-flight requests
already being served will continue as normal (i.e. reading, writing
etc), but as new connections should be rejected, so that a load balancer
could direct new connections to another instance in the cluster. The
requirement is to then update configuration, apply patches or cleanly
shutdown etc. for maintenance without effecting any in-flight requests.

Implementation wise I think this would be fairly straightforward as we
can remove OP_ACCEPT from the interested ops. However, I would like to
know your thoughts on this prior to moving ahead. Also do you have any
plans of introducing any JMX support at HttpCore level? We can implement
JMX support at the Synapse transport level and talk into the necessary
HttpCore classes that hold metrics etc - but again I would like to know
your thoughts

thanks
asankha