hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: Performance
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:19:00 GMT

Tatu Saloranta wrote:
> I'm sure others have addressed most points, but I thought I will mention
> something that hopefully is obvious (apologies if so): make sure that
> whatever changes you make solely to improve performance are actually tested
> to improve performance. I mention this because many of the things you list
> often yield any observable improvements (unless used in some significant
> tight loops, perhaps), because while they may relatively speed things up, it
> may be irrelevant because bottlenecks are elsewhere.
>
> -+ Tatu +-

HotSpot is another pitfall. If you rewrite your code away from common coding
patterns, HotSpot may not be able to optimize it as well. That's because HotSpot
is basically one big pattern matching engine. At least that's what I read from a
Sun engineer. So if you do stuff in uncommon ways it may get worse.