hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: Performance
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:35:21 GMT

Pascal S. de Kloe wrote:
> Hello Oleg,
>

>> (2) Can you give us a little more details regarding the performance
>> problems you have been observing?
>
> The latencies they are experiencing are somewhere between 37 and 100 ms with 10
> threads doing 100 HTTP GET calls each. However once they move to a 100 threads
> with 1000 calls each the latencies go up from 1500 to 15000 ms!
>
> I guess this has something to do with the extensive use of synchronized methods?

I don't believe synchronization can have a big impact. The question is,
what change in latency did you expect. You are doing 100 times more
work. But what kind of work? Are the threads mostly waiting on the
server or are they mostly processing the response stream? So is the
workload CPU, memory, or signal (wait) intensive? Maybe your processing
is just wasting memory and all your VM is doing is GC?