hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HttpComponents Core 4.0-alpha6 pre-release packages
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:19:19 GMT
> On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 16:18 +0100, ant elder wrote:
> > How about adding a BUILDING.txt file in the src distro saying how and what
> > you need to build (jdk 1.4 and mvn?)? I see the build.xml so assumed Ant
> > would work, but it doesn't anymore you need to build with maven right?
> >
> >    ...ant
> >

> Hi Anthony
>
> I think Ant build script should still work (at least it still does for
> me) but it has been effectively unmaintained for some time. I and Roland
> had a disagreement as to what purpose that script should serve, and as a
> result no one touches that script anymore. So, Maven 2.0.x is the only
> recommended and supported tool to build HttpComponents. There is nothing
> special to it, just utterly boring 'mvn package' is all that it takes to
> build the JARs. I can put together a short description of the process,
> though.

Just tried "mvn package" and that failed to build NIO-SSL because I
was using Java 1.4.

It would be nice if the Maven script could give a better error message
for that, rather than the rather cryptic:

httpcomponents-core-4.0-alpha6-SNAPSHOT\module-nio\src\test\
java\org\apache\http\impl\nio\codecs\TestLengthDelimitedDecoder.java:[93,12] can
not resolve symbol
symbol  : method read (java.nio.CharBuffer)
location: class java.io.InputStreamReader

I don't know if this is possible in Maven, however.

If not, a note in the text file would be useful - also how to
build/test the individual components in case someone does not want
them all.