hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance tuning
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:05:21 GMT

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 16:23 +0200, Pascal S. de Kloe wrote:
> You made your point clear: find the problem and eliminate it.
> However performance isn't that black and white. The thing is that every resource
> spend on org.apache.http.** is too much. They asked me if we can improve things
> and I think we can.
>
> Yes, synchronized methods *do* slow things down. Yes, creating unnecessary
> objects for each connection is bad.
>
> This HttpState was simply the first class out of a random pick to test the
> willingness to improve on the performance subject. It took me a few minutes to
> write...

Pascal

I agree with Odi. We will undoubtedly incorporate your changes into the
Httpclient 4.0 codeline, but we ought to be a little systemic about the
process. It does make sense to concentrate on those things that result
in more noticeable performance gains first and leave local performance
optimization until late BETA. It is pointless to optimize those classes
that are bound to change frequently.

Besides, you may want to use some sort of benchmark to quantify
differences in performance before and after changes. I did a lot of
optimization on HttpCore (the low level set of components HttpClient 4.0
is based on) a while ago but I was using JProfiler to find critical
performance bottlenecks.

Cheers

Oleg