hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpClient] NTLM support in HttpClient 4.0
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:41:34 GMT
Folks,

I think we are reasonably close to HttpClient 4.0 ALPHA2 and it is time
we made some kind of (preliminary) decision on the NTLM authentication
support in HttpClient 4.x codeline.

I personally have neither capacity nor inclination to set up a Microsoft
test lab at home with all sorts of Windows versions and Microsoft
products. I strongly suspect none of the present committers does as
well.

I long hoped we might find some kind soul willing to contribute an
AuthScheme based on jCIFS, someone knowledgeable enough about Microsoft
stuff and motivated enough to not just contribute code but also to stick
around to maintain and support it. Let's face it, this may take a pretty
long while, maybe forever.

So, it now all boils down to the following dilemma

(1) Ship HttpClient 4.0 without NTLM support at all, stoically take all
the whining and b*tching on the user list but give people some incentive
to scratch their own itch (so to speak).

(2) Port old NTLM code from HttpClient 3.x to give the users at least
NTLMv1 support but stand the risk this code _may_ be infringing on some
Microsoft IP.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Evil Comrade Oleg