hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <cowtownco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HttpComponents TLP: further course of actions
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:44:20 GMT

I don't know if this is much consolation, but I think (b) sort of follows from only having
2 main developers, ones who fully understand scope (and hopefully ramifications) of proposed
approaches and changes. That is, I wouldn't expect to have many disagreements having more
participants. Also, with experienced developers like you, I wouldn't really expect having
0 conflicts either. That usually only happens with projects that have severe "groupthink"
problems (just my opinion).

I think that as stressful it is to have conflicts, in the end good design in my experience
does come as a combination from at least slightly differing opinions and values from participants.
Quite often when I look back within what my team has done at work, I am happy that I didn't
drive through all of my ideas -- quite often I see later on that where I had to compromise,
I was wrong.

I understand that there are healthy and unhealthy conflicts, and that it's very hard to know
which is which at the time. But I am hoping that the ones related to HttpComponents can be
viewed as healthy ones when looked from more distance. That is, getting through disagreements
by resolving issues. Sometimes arbitrarily choosing one way over the other is more important
than trying to figure out the best way ("perfect is the opponent of good").

Apologies if I sound like a counselor or feel-good therapist. But while I can relate to stress,
I really hope this important project can be completed, given extensive amount of experience
& good intuition on sane software development you both seem to have.

Cheers,

-+ Tatu +-