hc-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Olofsson <r...@khelekore.org>
Subject Re: NIO HttpCore stability
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:27:03 GMT
Robert Brown wrote:
> Is the NIO HttpCore currently stable enough to try using for an
> application like this?  What sort of problems am I likely to
> encounter?  Thanks very much.

I can not speak for HttpCore, but I can speak for nio in java/linux.

If you run on linux, then be aware that java/6.0 up to 6u3 seems to
have some bugs in the epoll selector handling.

This one, fixed in 6u1, causes random IOExceptions:

This one. fixed in 7b12 and will be in 6u4 (or maybe 6u3),
causes the selector to trigger constantly giving you selector spin (100%
cpu):

Depending on how defensivly you code you may be able to work
around both of the bugs.

If you run on windows or solaris you also seem to be safe (since I
run neither I have not looked for bugs in them). If you are on linux
you could either stay with java/5 or you can tell the jvm to use the old
selector.

/robo