hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpComponents TLP: further course of actions
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:48:15 GMT
On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 09:39 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg, all,
>
> > Let's face it: we are on our own.
> >
> Yes, we are.
>
> > So, I suggest the following course of actions
> >
> > (1) Revert to our original proposal and plan
>
> I've thought about that, and my view is a bit more pessimistic
> than a few weeks ago. Maybe because I am no longer fired up
> about the web site confusion. Or because I don't have as much
> time to put into it.
>
> > (2) State that Slide are welcome to join at any point they feel
> > interested and ready.
> > (3) Send a message to WebService General list and invite those
> > interested in overseeing the project join the PMC
>
> We'll be able to scrape together a PMC with enough people
> to vote on releases and stuff. But there's still something
> I consider a fundamental flaw in the composition of our
> community. While we have attracted several contributers
> for patches, and I am very grateful for Sebastian reviewing
> the release packages, there are still only two developers
> _pushing_ this project forward. And more often than not,
> we're pushing in different directions. It's not healthy.

Roland

I am convinced it is important there are different and moreover at times
conflicting opinions. I am also convinced disagreements are healthy if
they lead to a compromise.

> Jakarta, the umbrella, has become very silent recently.
> We might be better off just laying still for some more
> months, getting HttpClient to beta and hoping to attract
> more contributors with that. Yes I know... not likely.
>
> Saying that, I did put my name on the original proposal
> and will stick to that. It's just that I will be busy
> with my lectures again for the rest of the year, and
> have some other reasons forcing me to restrict my computer
> time as well. I won't be able to help as much as I had
> hoped two months ago.
>
> > (4) Decide on who assumed the role of the Chair. This one is going to be
> > a tough one.
>
> full ack.
>
> > (5) Put the proposal on vote in October.
> >
> See above. How about May or June 2008?

I have no problem doing all that tedious and non-glorious leg work but I
do not want to be seen as the only person pushing this idea. So, let's
wait.

Cheers

Oleg