hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding HTTP Core Features..
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:21:49 GMT
On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 14:37 +0530, Techie India wrote:
> i am mostly looking at the features which tomcat supports for the HTTP.....
> 1)UrlEncoding
> 2)Authentication.
> 3)Cookies.

All of these features are out of the HttpCore scope. There are no plans
to provide them in HttpCore. We might look into possibility of building
an embeddable HTTP server at some point of time but currently we do not
even have enough committers to work on HttpCore and HttpClient.

> Do you have any comparable data of HTTPCore API and Tomcat Http.
> means what are the features for HTTP  which are not supported by HTTP Core
> in comparision to Tomcat.

We do not want to be seen as a competitor to Tomcat or any other servlet
engine. HttpCore is more comparable to Coyote HTTP connector than
Catalina container.

> Actually we are using the Embedded tomcat in our application for giving HTTP
> Support, But we are facing some performance issue there so we want to
> replace that with HTTP Core based Server.

As much I would like to see HttpCore used more widely I think you may be
better served by Jetty, if what you essentially want is a different
servlet engine.

Hope this helps

Oleg