hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding HTTP Core Features..
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:51:25 GMT
On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 10:56 +0530, Techie India wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently started looking at the httpCore Api's and the examples.I want to
> know what are all the features which HTTP Core  Supports on the Server Side.
>
> Thanks.

HttpCore is a set of low level components that implement requirements of
the most essential requirements of the HTTP protocol as specified in
RFC2616. HttpCore is meant to be content agnostic: it is intended to
facilitate transfer of arbitrary content from one end point to another
but it is NOT intended to perform content transformation or processing
of any kind.

HttpCore is both an abstract API and a default implementation of that
API. HttpCore Base builds on the classic blocking I/O model and depends
on a 1.3 compatible JRE only. HttpCore NIO is based on the non-blocking
I/O (NIO) model and requires HttpCore Base and a 1.4 compatible JRE.

Both models have their pros and cons. We usually recommend classic I/O
for those applications for best performance, while NIO model is more
appropriate for use cases where ability to handle thousands of
concurrent connections in a resource efficient manner is more important
than the raw data throughput.

Do you have any specific server-side features / functionality in mind?

Oleg