hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Roei Erez" <ro...@mainsoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache httpclient with NTLM
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:30:29 GMT
Thanks for the quick response.
I would like to get involved in implementing this feature.
I have read the 'ConnectionManagementDesign' in the wiki, and want to
come up with a good and clean design for this issue(assuming no one has
done it already).
Is this accepted?
Is there anyone that is dealing with this issue that I should talk to?
Thanks in advance,
Roei Erez.

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:07 PM
To: HttpComponents Project
Subject: Re: Apache httpclient with NTLM

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 04:27 -0700, Roei Erez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am developing a server-side application, where different users (each
> one has his own credentials) make http requests against a remote
server.

> I am using Apache HTTPClient in the server side (let's call it 'A') to
> make the actual HTTP Requests against another remote server (let's
call
> it B).
>
> The authentication method of server 'B' is NTLM.
>
> My problem is that NTLM authenticate a connection, and therefore,
after
> one user makes an HTTP request using one connection, the connection is
> authenticated with his credentials and the next user that gets this
> pooled connection will use an authenticated connection that is
populated
> with the first user credentials.
>

> I think that the way to solve this problem should be by having the
> HttpConnectionManager, on some cases, maintain pools by host and user
> credentials, and not only by host.
>
> One of the problems is that this requires changes to the API of
> HttpConnectionManager.
>
> Does any one have an idea of how to handle this annoying issue?

Hi Roei

We are aware of the problem [1] and will provide a proper solution to it
in HttpClient 4.0. As far as HttpClient 3.1 the only feasible workaround
(besides developing a custom connection manager from scratch) is to
maintain a separate connection manager instance on a per user basis.

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-652