hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Setting default CookiePolicy
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:45:34 GMT
Keith,

HttpClient does not support "system wide" configuration through static
variables or system properties or similar. The main reason is that such
static configuration is unsuitable in complex systems where the same
library may be used by different applications or subsystems. Also the
boundary of "system wide" is not well-defined: while system properties
apply to the whole VM, static variables are local to the classloader.
And there are also problems when security managers are in place (e.g. in
Browser Applets). All in all it would lead to not well-defined
behaviour. The caller knows best how to configure HttpClient, so he is
fully responsible for it. Of course that makes it harder to fix problems
in code that is not under your control. All you can do is work together
with the author of that code.

Cheers

Ortwin

--