hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject HTTP parsing - analysis
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:12:10 GMT
Hi Oleg, all,

I've taken a good look at the HTTP parsing code, with
a focus on the header of the messages. What I found is
that the actual parsing (and formatting) code is spread
across various static methods in o.a.h.message.
The message parsers for both traditional IO and NIO
are simply collecting full lines, feeding them to the
static parser methods afterwards. Header continuation
lines are handled by the message parsers.

The parts I want to make easily replaceable are mostly
in the static methods. The short term goal is to allow
the replacing of parser and writer of the HTTP/1.x
protocol specification in requests and responses, in
order to allow for SIP/2.0. I've also noticed that we
cannot generate messages with header continuation lines.

There parsing of headers into elements is not done
while a message is received, but on demand at a later
time. There is no corresponding way to format a header
from elements. I'd like to make the parser replaceable
too, but that has a rather low priority.

cheers,
  Roland