hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: NIO extensions and using a proxy server
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:32:22 GMT
Hi Asankha,

> I believe HttpCore/NIO extensions does not support the standard Java
> system properties that supports proxy servers
> (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/proxies.html).

That is correct.

> Is this something planned for a future release?

No, in core never. In client maybe as an optional feature.
The FAQ for HttpClient still applies in this case:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedApplicationDesignQuestions#head-4808398f4e6d318df33672d886d1f27bd2845277

The next alpha of HttpClient will have an interface
HttpRoutePlanner that can be implemented based on
the system properties. We're not planning to do that
at this time, and it is of course not integrated with
HttpNIO anyway. For what it's worth, I believe that
the HttpRoute related classes in HttpConn are useful
for NIO applications, too. You might want to have a
look at them. The logic for route building with blocking
IO is implemented in the DefaultHttpRequestDirector.

hope that helps,
  Roland