hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore][HttpClient] Planning
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:17:00 GMT
Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>

>> (2) Freeze Core API sometime in September and release BETA1 shortly
>> after.
>>
>> (4) HttpClient 4.0 ALPHA2 shortly after HttpCore 4.0 BETA1
>>

> -0 from me. I think it is unwise to freeze the core API at this stage.
> Within days after the alpha5 release, we changed it with HTTPCORE-88.
> And we had a need to introduce the version detection triggered by
> HttpClient (HTTPCORE-90). Not to forget HTTPCORE-100. This API is not
> stable, hence I am not in favor of freezing it without another alpha.
>
> We've stuffed most API changes triggered by client alpha1 into the
> core alpha5 release, which is good. If we get client to alpha2 without
> requiring further API changes in core, that is if we make it from
> core alpha6 to the next core release without (important) API changes,
> then I will consider core as a stable API that can be marked beta.
>
> That's for core/module-main. I will trust your judgement regarding NIO.

OK. Let's do another ALPHA. I just can't think of any outstanding issue
that may trigger API changes in Core, though. Besides, we will still be
able to change API beyond BETA1 if we find a real need for doing so.
We'll just have to go through a deprecation cycle in order to allow the
upstream projects to adapt to the changes.

Oleg