hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [Jakarta-httpclient Wiki] Update of "GuidedTourOfHttpCore" by RolandWeber
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 05:52:04 GMT
Daniel Mueller wrote:
> Your article offered a very enjoyable read and a good approach to introduce
> somebody to the framework. I have never seen it done before and I like it
> very much. Thanks.

Thanks, glad you like it.

> PS: on a side note, because that was one thing I was wondering about:
>
> From a framework perspective, parameters are read-only.
>>

> Was it too difficult to use in the client or why didn't you make the
> HttpParams interface readonly and provided a subinterface (for use in the
> helper classes HttpProtocolParams and HttpConnectionParams) with the setter
> methods? Since the core doesn't need the setter methods it looks like the
> way to go to design the interface.

Actually, I haven't tought about it that much. It is easier to use
for applications, because they must modify the parameters before
passing them to the core. Splitting in two interfaces for reading
and writing is something I'll consider for a while.

Oleg, others, what do you think?
  interface HttpParams
  interface ModifiableHttpParams

Some of the parameter stuff I want to introduce in client alpha2
will be read-only anyway. I thought about throwing an exception
in setParameter, but having a read-only interface would be better.

Thanks,
  Roland