hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions and using a proxy server
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:48:23 GMT
On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 18:12 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi
>
> I believe HttpCore/NIO extensions does not support the standard Java
> system properties that supports proxy servers
> (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/proxies.html). Is this
> something planned for a future release?
>
> thanks
> asankha

Hi Asankha

HttpComponents Core and Client do not make use of system properties,
primarily because we want to keep them container friendly. An attempt to
access system properties in a JEE container or an applet may violate
container security.

Regarding HTTP request proxying, there is nothing that prevents one from
sending HTTP requests via a caching proxy using HttpCore NIO extensions.
One just needs to use absolute request URIs and use Proxy-Connection
directive for connection management. That's it.

SSL tunneling _should_ not be an issue as well, but it will certainly
require writing some plumbing code to manage tunneled connections. Of
course, these services could (and should) be provided by the framework.
At some point of time I would like to introduce NIO extensions to the
HttpConn module providing NIO based implementation of the client
connection manager and SSL tunneling components. However, all my spare
time is currently being consumed by hacking on HttpClient and related
components.

So, to sum things up, yes it is planned for a future release, but if I
were to do it, not before HttpClient 4.0 goes ALPHA3 or so.

Cheers,

Oleg