hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.x release build environment?
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:31:17 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> Being able to compile code against a JDK and being able to run it is not
> the same thing. You can compile HttpClient sources using an older JDK
> either using ant or an IDE and then use Maven with a newer JDK to build
> release packages. This is what I used to do.

I haven't thought of that. I guess I am used too much to
end-to-end build processes which I can start from scratch
for maximum repeatability. Of course this is a good reason
why the Ant build for 3.x puts compiled classes into the
same location as the Maven build.

>> Well, there goes one remote idea. I sure won't
>> buy Windows to build releases of HttpClient 3.x.
>> I'm only using Windows when getting paid for it ;-)
>>
> I have no intention of making you buy a Windows PC or forcing you into
> being a RM for HttpClient 3.x.

I didn't mean to imply that. My apologies if it came out wrong.

> These are choices you have to make for
> yourself. All I am saying one can certainly build Java 1.2.2 compatible
> release packages on a Linux box.

That's good to know. I am still missing several important
pieces for building HttpClient 3.x at release quality.
The idea is to add those pieces one by one over the next
months. If I get everything together by christmas (Gregorian)
and nobody else has volunteered as RM until then, I will
most likely do it as a once-only effort in early January.
Just to get that monkey off our back.

cheers,
  Roland