hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.x release build environment?
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:25:48 GMT
Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>

>> You may want to upgrade to Maven 1.1.
>>

> That prereqs Java 1.4.2.
>

>> Besides, I am not sure Maven is
>> Java 1.2.2 compatible
>>

> The release documentation in the Wiki says:
>
> <quote>
> Make sure you running a 1.2 JVM. This is necessary to ensure
> that the generated binaries are 1.2 compatible.
>
> Generate the binary packages.
>   maven httpclient:dist
> </quote>
>
> So it must have been compatible at some point in time.
>

>> and I would not even bother running anything else
>> than Java 1.4 on Linux anyhow.
>>

> So Linux is not an option as the release build environment.
> Which means I am not an option as the release manager.
>

>> The Maven will produce 1.2 compatible
>> byte code based on the POM regardless of javac version used.
>>

> Bytecode compatible yes. But if you compile against a newer
> version of the Java packages, you can't guarantee binary
> compatibility with JDK 1.2.2.

Roland,

Being able to compile code against a JDK and being able to run it is not
the same thing. You can compile HttpClient sources using an older JDK
either using ant or an IDE and then use Maven with a newer JDK to build
release packages. This is what I used to do.

> We've had that in OpenCard: when compiling with JDK 1.1,
> there was a reference to a 1.1-only class somewhere in the
> hierarchy, and the binaries would no longer run on JDK 1.0.
> Or has that behavior changed in newer Java versions?
> I've also compiled httpclient 4.0 with java.version set to
> 1.3 for some time by mistake. No problems reported, and
> I'm sure we're using something 1.4-only somewhere in there.
>
> Well, there goes one remote idea. I sure won't
> buy Windows to build releases of HttpClient 3.x.
> I'm only using Windows when getting paid for it ;-)

I have no intention of making you buy a Windows PC or forcing you into
being a RM for HttpClient 3.x. These are choices you have to make for
yourself. All I am saying one can certainly build Java 1.2.2 compatible
release packages on a Linux box.

Oleg