hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.x release build environment?
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:25:07 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> You may want to upgrade to Maven 1.1.

That prereqs Java 1.4.2.

> Besides, I am not sure Maven is
> Java 1.2.2 compatible

The release documentation in the Wiki says:

<quote>
Make sure you running a 1.2 JVM. This is necessary to ensure
that the generated binaries are 1.2 compatible.

Generate the binary packages.
  maven httpclient:dist
</quote>

So it must have been compatible at some point in time.

> and I would not even bother running anything else
> than Java 1.4 on Linux anyhow.

So Linux is not an option as the release build environment.
Which means I am not an option as the release manager.

> The Maven will produce 1.2 compatible
> byte code based on the POM regardless of javac version used.

Bytecode compatible yes. But if you compile against a newer
version of the Java packages, you can't guarantee binary
compatibility with JDK 1.2.2.
We've had that in OpenCard: when compiling with JDK 1.1,
there was a reference to a 1.1-only class somewhere in the
hierarchy, and the binaries would no longer run on JDK 1.0.
Or has that behavior changed in newer Java versions?
I've also compiled httpclient 4.0 with java.version set to
1.3 for some time by mistake. No problems reported, and
I'm sure we're using something 1.4-only somewhere in there.

Well, there goes one remote idea. I sure won't
buy Windows to build releases of HttpClient 3.x.
I'm only using Windows when getting paid for it ;-)

cheers,
  Roland