hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: current state of httpclient 4.0
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:37:05 GMT
Hi Daniel,

my apologies for the state of our website. The current
status of HttpAsync is whack-puffed. I buried the ashes
in SVN [2] just after HttpCore-alpha4 was released.
There are no current plans to resurrect the idea. Since
most people associate "async" with "NIO", we are now
referring to the original idea as HttpDispatch. The
empty HttpAsync component has become a potential home
for NIO modules.

> This does look more or less like what I want to do. I take
> it that as of yet, not much work has occurred on that front.

Quite some work, but little tangible result.

> What are the plans for this project?

Unless committers come rushing to us, it will remain
whack-puffed for another year, or two, or longer.

> Is this the asynchronous variant of HttpClient
> (with an appropriate API)?

Oleg likes to think of it that way. I guess it would
develop in that direction, if we had cycles to spare.

> Was it intended to be used both with a blocking and a non-blocking
> implementation (only internally, not from the client side of view, i.e. one
> implementation on httpcore, one on httpcore-nio)?

Yes. The API is intentionally neutral. I meant to develop
a blocking implementation, since that's what I know. I
agree with Oleg that a NIO implementation would make
more sense.

> Are there any thoughts around, preliminary designs,
> starting points to investigate for the design
> of such a component?

There is a design page in the Wiki:

The design for the dispatching of requests using
blocking IO is rather well developed. There is no
corresponding design for NIO. Questions such as the
handling of tunnelling, authentication, redirects,
or expect-continue handshake (Ouch!) had not yet
been adressed. I had some ideas about logging,
but they were not formally written down iirc.
The design was created at a very early point of
HttpComponents development. In fact, way too early.
Since it was whack-puffed, we have created a lot of
pieces for that puzzle in HttpConn and HttpClient.

If you feel like working on a NIO implementation,
you could start adding your ideas to the Wiki.
I can dig out the API and update it based on some
of the newer pieces in HttpClient and/or HttpConn.
I feel that at the current state of development,
there would be no point in resurrecting the early
attempt at a blocking implementation.