hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: current state of httpclient 4.0
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:55:18 GMT
Hi Daniel,

> And since my main interest lies in the nio part
> of the httpcore, what needs to be done to have this part working with the
> httpclient (if there's anything which is not working, not sure about that)?
> Some pointers would be great, so I can speed up my understanding of the
> code.

Although it's not currently split explicitly into build modules,
the HttpClient component has four parts of code. They are
recognizable by the package structure. The four parts are:

* HttpCookie: should work with NIO all right

* HttpAuth: should work with NIO all right. The logic for
performing authentication is partially in HttpClient (see below),
in particular the (Default)HttpAuthenticationHandler. That one
should work all right with NIO, too.

* HttpConn: connection management is strictly blocking IO,
you can't use that API with NIO. There are some classes about
route building (HttpRoute, RouteTracker, RouteDirector) which
I believe can be useful with NIO too.

* HttpClient: the default (and only) implementation is based
on HttpConn and therefore doesn't mix with NIO. There is one
class HttpState which has ties to both HttpCookie and HttpAuth,
that should work all right in a NIO context. Splitting that
class into pieces that can be put directly in HttpCookie and
HttpAuth, respectively, is on my list post-alpha1.

The rest of available documentation is the JavaDocs, or the
pieces of information posted to the mailing list. If you
need HttpClient functionality or parts thereof in a NIO
context, I recommend that you dive into class
o.a.h.impl.client.DefaultClientRequestExecutor. That is
where all the parts are tied together for blocking IO.
Identify what you need, then do the same with NIO.

hope that helps,
  Roland