hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Mueller" <...@digitalstrider.com>
Subject Re: publishing sources to the maven-repo
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:26:38 GMT
Hi Roland,

To me, Maven is a release build tool. But I don't build releases,
> Oleg takes care of that.

Fair enough.

If I wanted to keep up with everything going on in this project,
> I would have had to spend time on learning at least Maven, NIO,
> and Spring. I prefer to spend what little time I have available
> on coding. I had an idea last year (as recently as December) to
> code some kind of version detection for debug reporting. But I
> had to drop that idea because it would have required to update
> properties files with the version number during release builds,
> and I don't want to spend several week-ends on learning Maven
> just to support a few hours of coding. Actually, I'm not even
> sure whether my idea could be implemented with Maven, as it
> seems (from my remote point of view) that version identifiers
> are hard-coded in POM files rather than being passed in when
> invoking the release build.

If you could elaborate a bit more on your idea, I'm gonna think about it. I
solved a similar problem at work and probably can find a solution faster.

The simple truth is that I'm very
> unlikely to ever learn Maven well enough to come to like it :-)

I spoke the same words some time ago ;)

If you can help Oleg and others with the release process,
> your helping hand is appreciated by me as well.

I'm gonna have a look what I can do when I encounter problems. So far, the
things work pretty well and I haven't found major hurdles, but if you'd like
some additional things, please state them somewhere (feature request in jira
maybe).

Cheers
Daniel